- 1 Types of Travel Insurance offered by HDFC Ergo
- 2 Features and Coverages of Travel Insurance
- 3 Features and Coverage in Student Suraksha Plan
- 4 Eligibility Criteria for Both the Plan’s
- 5 Documents required
- 6 FAQs
- 6.1 Q1. What’s not included in Hdfc Ergo’s Travel Insurance?
- 6.2 Q2. How do you compare plans before choosing one?
- 6.3 Q3. How can you seek assistance on your Travel Insurance in a foreign land?
- 6.4 Q4. Is there a way to extend my HDFC Ergo travel insurance policy?
- 6.5 Q5. Is there a provision to reduce the existing plan coverage period?
- 6.6 Q6. What are the cancellation policies for HDFC Ergo travel insurance?
Nothing can pamper you as much as taking a trip to travel across thtarvele world, it is a commonly acknowledged fact. There is no better way to break up the monotony of daily life, melt away the massive amount of tension you’ve been lugging around from work, and create lifelong memories than to go on a family vacation. However, taking a vacation or travelling to a new location can expose you to a variety of unknown risks and risky scenarios. Customers can benefit from HDFC Ergo’s comprehensive and all-encompassing travel insurance products, which protect them against numerous hazards and risks associated with travel, allowing you to enjoy your holiday the way you deserve it – worry-free.
HDFC Ergo Ltd., India’s main housing finance institution, and ERGO International AG, Munich Re Group’s primary insurance arm, have partnered to form HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Ltd., a 74:26 joint venture. In the retail arena, the company offers a full range of general insurance products, including Motor, Health, Travel, Home, and Personal Accident, as well as tailored products like Property, Marine, and Liability Insurance for businesses.
Types of Travel Insurance offered by HDFC Ergo
- Travel Insurance
- Student Suraksha
This regular travel insurance policy ensures that you are covered in the event of any unforeseen occurrences or unexpected losses while on holiday, with the goal of making the most of it. On an unlucky day during your trip, the worst could happen: you could misplace your luggage or passport, have an accident requiring quick medical attention, or become unwell. An abroad travel insurance policy will ensure that you have a solid support system in place and that you receive all you require. Now relax and enjoy your trip without any worries since you have earned it. HDFC has a travel insurance plan to meet your needs, whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure.
Features and Coverages of Travel Insurance
- The coverage covers unexpected medical expenses incurred as a result of an accident or sickness. Emergency evacuation charges that are medically required and prescribed are also covered. In-patient, out-patient, treatments, medical help, and diagnostic testing are also covered by the coverage. Please keep in mind that they will be covered according to the policy’s timetable.
- The coverage covers medical evacuation in the event of an emergency. The policyholder must be evacuated to his or her native country, and he or she is covered up to the chosen medical sum insured.
- In the terrible event that the insured dies while on the trip, the insurance would cover the burial expenses as well as the cost of repatriating the deceased insured’s remains back to India. This coverage is only effective if the policyholder dies while travelling overseas.
- While most insurance plans exclude dental bills incurred as a result of a medical emergency, the HDFC Ergo travel insurance policy covers severe anaesthetic treatment of natural teeth.
- It provides a daily hospital allowance in the event that the policyholder is hospitalised while on his vacation, as mentioned in the policy schedule. This hospitalisation might be caused by illness or an accident.
- HDFC Ergo will pay the sum covered in the event of the insured’s accidental death or permanent total disability (as specified in the policy schedule). This is in addition to the amount insured under the Personal Accident section. The coverage covers the insured if he or she is injured in an accident while travelling in a common carrier such as a train, bus, tram, or aeroplane and suffers an unintentional physical injury that ends in death or permanent disability.
- In the event that the insured suffers a fatality or permanent disability as a consequence of an accident, the firm provides a Personal Accident Compensation to the insured.
- It is quite probable that you may lose your luggage or crucial personal papers when travelling, especially if you are travelling internationally. This travel insurance coverage compensates for the costs of replacing your lost papers and bags in order to offer you with total assistance. You’ll also be compensated for the loss of your checked baggage for the rest of your life.
- Checked baggage delays are a relatively regular blunder committed by airlines these days. In this case, the insured receives a fair amount of reimbursement for expenditures spent due to the purchase of toiletries, medications, and clothing as a result of the checked-in baggage being delayed. This only applies if the delay is more than 12 hours.
- The Personal Liability cover guarantees that you are reimbursed for any losses you cause to a third party and are required to pay for; the harm might arise from the third party’s death or injury. In the event that the insured has inadvertently caused harm to a third party’s health or property, he will be paid.
- The company pays the hotel expenses incurred if he falls ill or sustains a physical injury (and has to extend his stay in the place of travel), which, regardless of other causes, results in a hospitalisation; and as a result, the in-patient has to miss his or her flight back to the country of residence.
Student Suraksha Plan
Globalisation has made education more accessible to people all around the world. Students nowadays go to far-flung other nations to pursue higher education. A solid support structure (that ensures total care) is a must-have for these expatriate students, especially while they are residing so far away from home. HDFC ERGO provides Student Suraksha – Student Overseas Travel Insurance, a comprehensive travel insurance coverage designed specifically for students to guarantee financial security in the event of an emergency. This insurance policy allows students to study abroad without having to be concerned about anything. They are insured from any unexpected expenses, such as losing their passport, bags, crucial papers, or medical emergency costs.
Features and Coverage in Student Suraksha Plan
- If a student is arrested or detained by authorities in the nation of his travel/studies for a bailable offence, the insurance coverage pays the bond sum.
- If a student’s studies are stopped for whatever reason while taking a course overseas, the employer is required to compensate him or her under the policy.
- This policy compensates the institute the student’s tuition expenses if the student’s sponsor dies in an accident.
- If a compassionate visit is undertaken by a member of the student’s immediate family, the student is reimbursed for the costs expended.
- When a student needs medical treatment overseas for nervous breakdowns, mental problems, drug addiction, or alcoholism, the insurance coverage covers the costs.
- The programme also covers in-patient fees for expecting moms, as well as mammograms and cancer screenings as indicated by the doctor.
- The coverage covers unexpected medical expenses incurred as a result of an accident or sickness. If the covered student dies in an accident, the firm compensates his family. Similarly, if the covered student suffers a permanent disability, he is entitled to financial compensation from the insurer under the terms of the insurance policy.
- For an emergency medical evacuation, the policy pays the whole sum covered or actual costs incurred (whichever is less). The evacuation/repatriation must take place in the policyholder’s native country.
- If an unfortunate occurrence occurs and the covered student dies while abroad, the insurance pays the whole sum insured or actual costs incurred (whichever is less) to repatriate the insured student’s remains to his home country.
- Unlike other insurance plans, which do not cover dental expenditures spent due to medical reasons, the HDFC Ergo student travel insurance policy covers expenses incurred due to acute dental discomfort or serious dental injuries.
- It is a typical occurrence for travellers to misplace their luggage or crucial personal papers when travelling internationally and checking into a shared carrier. Student Suraksha travel insurance coverage reimburses the expenditures that the insured would have expended in replacing his or her lost or damaged products and bags to give total assistance in this respect.
- Checked baggage delays are a relatively regular blunder committed by airlines these days. In this case, the insured is reimbursed for the costs of purchasing toiletries, medications, and clothing on the spur of the moment owing to the delayed arrival of checked luggage.
- If a student loses his passport while studying abroad, he will be paid for the costs of obtaining a new or duplicate passport.
Eligibility Criteria for Both the Plan’s
- For a single trip, the lowest age is 6 months and the maximum age is 70 years.
- Minimum age to participate in an annual multi-trip is 18 years, with a maximum age of 70 years.
- Single trip to Asia (exclusively Japan): minimum 6 months, maximum 70 years
- For a Family Floater, the principal policyholder can be up to 60 years old.
- It is up to the age of 60 for the insured’s spouse.
- It is a maximum of two from the age of three months to the age of twenty-one years for the insured’s child.
Student Suraksha Plan
- Applicants must be international students.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years old and no more than 35 years old. Applicants are eligible for 30-day to 2-year international coverage. There will be no medical examination.
Exclusions of Travel Insurance
- Medical Illnesses: Most insurance exclude coverage for medical conditions such as diabetes, AIDS, high blood pressure, and a variety of others. However, if you look around a little more, you might be able to discover the finest travel insurance coverage for you, one that allows you to pay a little extra and add the specific condition. For some medical conditions, however, this is not possible. Furthermore, you must inform the insurer of your current health status prior to signing the policy; otherwise, it will be a complete waste of your money. In India, there are a variety of domestic travel insurance alternatives that allow you to cover health issues that aren’t covered by other policies.
- Baggage Delays of No More Than 24 Hours: One of the most important reasons for consumers to buy travel insurance is to avoid having to deal with the headaches of lost luggage. When looking for international or domestic travel insurance in India, you’ll almost certainly discover lost luggage coverage as a basic feature on the majority of the packages available. However, even this service has its own set of terms and restrictions. Even while it varies depending on the policy you purchased, in most circumstances, even the greatest travel insurance policy alternatives will not compensate you till your luggage has been gone for more than 24 hours.
- Military or terrorist activity: Despite the lack of a specific justification, travel insurance companies across the world refuse to cover any harm caused by military or terrorist activity. One of the key reasons for this is because countries occasionally issue travel advisories to politically unsafe areas. Your international or even domestic travel insurance in India would not cover any damages incurred as a result of riots, civil unrest, unexpected war, terrorist activities, or military outbreak owing to these and other legal reasons.
- Loss Caused by the Policyholder: If you believe that a travel policy, even if it is the most appropriate and finest travel insurance coverage for you, will cover almost everything, you should read the terms and conditions section at least twice. All domestic travel insurance policies in India, as well as those granted for overseas travel, state that you cannot claim money if you are the cause of the loss. For example, if you get into a fight or make a rash choice while travelling and cause damage as a result, you won’t be able to cite it as a valid basis to file a claim.
- Losing Your Belongings: In practically every part of the globe, there is a symbol of taking care of your belongings. Another reason you can’t collect your insurance is if you leave your valuables and things unattended. India is infamous for theft, while major cities such as New York, Paris, and London are recognised to be dangerous due to mugging. As a result, it is strongly urged that you do not leave your luggage anywhere unattended. You must be familiar with the individual in order to be able to file a claim for damages. It is a specific exclusion for practically all Indian travel insurance policies.
- Trying to File a Claim for an Unapproved Medical Condition: Travel insurance companies are highly picky about medical claims. Because there are people with ill intent all throughout the world, insurance companies want to make sure that they are only giving money to those who need it and that no one is taking advantage of them. Prior to purchasing the coverage, potential policyholders are particularly asked to explain their medical issues. If your travel insurance doesn’t cover that particular health problem, you won’t be able to file a claim afterwards. Even if you’ve chosen the greatest travel insurance coverage for you, if you don’t follow the pre-disclosure condition, you won’t be able to make a claim for medical care.
- Adventure Activities Not Covered by Your Policy: If you’re seeking for domestic travel insurance in India for a trip to Rishikesh or Leh Ladakh, or an international policy in New Zealand for adventure sports, your options are restricted. It’s critical to check your insurance coverage to see if these activities are covered. While there are many alternatives available, the ideal travel insurance coverage for you in this scenario would be one that focuses on adventure travel. You’ll be at a higher risk of getting into trouble since your agenda is packed of adventure and excitement.
- Cancellation by Tour Operator: If you scheduled a vacation through a tour operator and he decides not to go through with it at the last minute, you will not be able to collect the money for the trip cancellation. This provision would be excluded from your domestic travel insurance in India, or even the greatest travel insurance policy in the world. Ensure that you receive a legitimate email confirmation from a reputable tour operator, and that your reservation is not made over the phone or with a handshake. Even if you get correct mail, filing a claim is not sufficient, but at the very least, you will be able to hold the tour company accountable for your money loss and recover it.
- if you have to cancel a vacation due to a pet’s illness or death, the insurance companies don’t appear to think so! It might be difficult to file a claim if you have to cancel your vacation due to a pet’s illness. The simplest way to avoid this is to make sure you don’t schedule a vacation when your pet isn’t feeling well. Otherwise, you may always buy refundable flights and accommodations to avoid having to deal with a tour operator. You may not be able to preserve it all this way, but you will be able to save some.
- Psychological Illness: Our country, however, does not give enough attention to individuals with psychological problems. Not only is it not recognised as a valid reason for claiming travel insurance, but it is also not recognised as a valid reason for claiming many health insurance plans issued across the country. It is usually a good idea to inquire with your insurance issuer about what may be done in this situation if the need arises. However, if you have a psychiatric disease that flares up regularly, it’s still a good idea to have enough money set aside for yourself. It is also strongly recommended that you do not go alone and have a trustworthy partner with you to assist you in the event of an emergency.
- Separation is cited as a reason: One of the most important principles of an insurance firm is that it is not based on emotions. It gives coverage for unforeseen logistical issues, but it isn’t much assistance for anything other than death. As a result, even separation isn’t a good cause to postpone a vacation. If your spouse unexpectedly decides to split or divorce you, you will not be able to collect any money for the vacation. If you sense problems in paradise, it might not be such a good idea to schedule a trip after all! Not only would you lose your marriage, but you’d also lose your money.
- Local Protests: If you get caught in the thick of a local demonstration, you’re in for a bad day. In truth, if a flight is cancelled due to a local protest, airlines throughout the world do not give any compensation for the cancellation. It’s usually a good idea to perform a fast check on the political situation in your region as well as the destination you’re contemplating so you don’t have to use this as an excuse to claim your money. It’s better to be safe than sorry, as they say.
In just a few simple steps, you may register an insurance claim with HDFC Ergo. Make contact with the firm by phone. They have a toll-free worldwide number as well as a charged contact number in India. You will be contacted by a person who will guide you through the claims process. When you get the claim settlement form, fill it out completely and attach any needed documents, as well as a description of the claim type or sort of loss you have suffered. Let’s say you become unwell while on vacation. If you need to be hospitalised due to a medical emergency and wish to claim reimbursement from HDFC Ergo, call the firm and let them know.
- Completely filled out travel insurance claim form
- All original medical bills and invoices that are relevant
- A copy of the insured’s passport is required.
- The treating doctor’s relevant treatment file Receipt stating the amount paid to the hospital
- In the instance of an accidental death, a copy of the cancelled check, a post mortem or coroner’s report, a death certificate, and a final police investigation report.
- In the event of a trip cancellation, proof of travel and accommodation fees paid for the trip is required. Hotels prior booking and details of refundable money from the airlines are required in the event of a trip interruption.
Q1. What’s not included in Hdfc Ergo’s Travel Insurance?
Ans- Travel insurance can make your trip less stressful. However, there are several situations in which insurance may not be useful: Contrary to medical advice, I went on a trip. Medical therapy or cosmetic surgery outside of one’s own country. Scuba diving and bungee jumping are examples of extreme, high-risk sports. When you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you suffered losses.
Q2. How do you compare plans before choosing one?
Ans- Choose your travel insurance package carefully, whether you are a frequent traveller or covering your dream vacation to an exotic location. Compare based on the following criteria:
Coverage: To find the right balance, weigh the benefits of the coverage against the cost of the premium.
Ratio of claims settled: Keep an eye on the insurance company’s claim-handling reputation and the speed with which claims are resolved.
Customer service: Must be able to manage travel situations in a different geographical region and time zone quickly and competently.
Deductibles and Exclusions: Understand what the policy does not cover. Keep in mind that most policies impose a deductible that must be paid by the traveller in the event of an emergency.
Q3. How can you seek assistance on your Travel Insurance in a foreign land?
Ans- a. Every travel insurance provider has a network of international assistance firms or partners who may aid you if you need assistance in a foreign country. In most cases, your policy documentation will provide contact information. Did you know that these businesses can help you with the following?
b. Provide help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
c. Submit a claim
d. Work with local service providers to coordinate.
e. Make arrangements for medical help.
f. Organize services for repatriation and evacuation.
Q4. Is there a way to extend my HDFC Ergo travel insurance policy?
Ans- There is, indeed. Send an extension request email to HDFC Ergo customer service to prolong your policy. The request for an extension of the insurance must be accompanied by a health statement. HDFC Ergo will answer with a complete procedure list as well as the amount of the additional premium.
Q5. Is there a provision to reduce the existing plan coverage period?
Ans- No, HDFC Ergo travel insurance does not allow you to shorten the duration of your coverage. This is done in order to reduce the dangers associated.
Q6. What are the cancellation policies for HDFC Ergo travel insurance?
Ans- The cancellation request must be received by HDFC Ergo personnel within 14 days of the policy’s issuance. If the insurance has already been written, a photocopy of the insured’s passport’s 40 pages must be given. This will serve as verification that despite registering for the policy, no travel has been taken. Please be aware that you will be charged a cancellation fee of Rs.250, which will be deducted from the amount reimbursed to you.